The elephant baby shower theme is extremely popular, which is why an elephant diaper cake would be awesome.
Also the elephant theme is totally neutral, so you could use pink, blue, neutral colors, or match the colors of your theme.
Here are the instructions and the materials you need to make one :
Materials you need for elephant diaper cake :
- rubber bands (clear and regular)
- Diapers (I used a small pack of about 32)
- Receiving blanket
- 2 Matching bibs
- 2 Small buttons
- Wire (any gauge)
- Glue dots
- Roll 2 sets of 4 each diapers (securing each roll with a rubber band) then secure the groups of 4 together with a larger rubber band
- Roll 2 sets of 9 each diapers (securing each roll with a rubber band) then secure the groups of 9 in a round shape with a larger rubber band
- Set the 2 sets of 9 on their sides and but them up to each other, secure with a rubber band
- Take 2 diapers and open them up (lay on top of each other), roll a third diaper and place it at one end on the inside of them, fold the bottom 2 diapers up and around the rolled diaper securing in place with a rubber band (this makes the head and trunk).
- Lay the other end of the 3 diapers that is open on the top end of your 18 diaper set (flatten it out to shape the head with the trunk hanging down in front of it)
- Secure with another rubber band.
- Cut some wire to fit the inside outer edge of your bibs, tape the wire on the inside (making the bib more flexible and ridged)
- Wrap the 2 bibs around the head of the elephant
- Wrap your 18 diapers behind the bib ears with a receiving blanket tape in place and add a ribbon around to secure in place
- Adjust your ears (you can poke it into your receiving blanket to hid the extra material
- Poke a pacifier in the back end of your 18 diaper body for a tail
- Use glue dots to stick your buttons onto your face for eyes
- lay the 18 set of diapers onto of your 2 groupings of 4 for the feet