As pretty as they are tasty, cotton candy cupcakes are a perfect way to convey baby shower wishes. Good thoughts and lots of love go hand-in-hand with these pastel-tinted treat Her is the Recipe
Cotton Candy Cupcakes
Tender vanilla cupcakes are topped with a cotton candy flavored buttercream and decorated with fresh cotton candy. So delicious
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
- 3/4 cup (107g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (100g) cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp (194g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 3 Tbsp milk (105 ml) (anything but skim)
- Cotton candy
Cotton Candy Buttercream
- 3/4 cup (6 oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups (322g) powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cream or half and half , then more as needed
- 1/2 tsp cotton candy flavor , or to taste (1 tsp vanilla can be substituted)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift all-purpose flour and cake flour into a mixing bowl. Add baking powder and salt and whisk dry mixture, 20 seconds, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment (I recommend using a beater blade, which constantly scrapes the bowl, if you don’t have one, occasionally stop mixer and scrape down sides and bottom of bowl throughout entire mixing process), whip together butter and granulated sugar until pale and fluffy. Mix in egg, then mix in egg whites one at a time, blending until combined after each addition and adding in vanilla with last egg white. Working in three separate batches, beginning and ending with flour mixture, add 1/3 of the flour mixture (to the butter/egg mixture), alternating with 1/2 of the milk and mixing just until combined after each addition.
- Divide batter among 12 paper lined muffin cups, filling about 2/3 full (about 1/4 cup batter in each). Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean, about 18 – 21 minutes. Cool in baking pan several minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the mini cotton candy decoration, take pieces of cotton candy and shape into desired size (compacting as little as possible to keep it nice and fluffy), then take a lollipop stick, rinse top of stick under water (this just helps the cotton candy stick) then insert stick into bottom of cotton candy. Repeat to make 12. Once cupcakes are cool frost with cotton candy frosting and insert a mini cotton candy stick into each (note that the cotton candy will begin to shrink after about 30 – 60 minutes depending on how humid or hot it may be so wait to make and add decoration until nearly ready to serve).
- For the frosting:
- In an the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip butter until pale and fluffy. Mix in cream, cotton candy flavor and powdered sugar (adding additional cream 1 tsp at a time as needed). Whip until light and fluffy, tint with pink or blue food coloring if desired.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy
for more info about the recipe go here