These baby shower cupcakes are a simple vanilla cupcakes with pink vanilla frosting topped with fondant baby carriages, onesies, dresses, and sleeping babies.
Fluffy Vanilla Cake Recipe
baby shower cupcakes ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (3 1/4 ounces) shortening
- 6-8 cups (1 1/2 – 2 pounds) powdered sugar
- 1 3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3-5 ounces of milk or cream
Beat together butter, shortening, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and almond extract;
add a little milk or cream when it starts to get dry.
Beat on high for a few minutes until all lumps are gone and the color lightens a little.
The amounts of sugar and milk can vary depending on how light you like your frosting;
I usually use about 7 cups of sugar and about 4-5 tablespoons of milk.
I like it light and easily spreadable.
This much frosting will cover and fill a two-layer cake.
The sleeping babies
The sleeping babies are the easiest cupcakes to make!
- Frost the top half of the cupcake with white (the sheet) and a puff of white (the pillow – even though babies don’t use pillows).
- Then pipe the bottom half with pink or blue (or your color of choice), and use edible pearls or a contrast-colored frosting to accent.
- A small circle of skin-colored fondant gets tucked in under the blanket for the baby’s head.
- I cut them out a couple of days in advance to let them firm up, then used food-safe markers to draw eyes, nose, and a yawning or smiling mouth.
- A light dusting of pink luster dust gives the cheeks a rosy glow.
The dress and onesie
The dress and onesie are quick fondant cutouts. You can decorate them as simply or intricately as you’d like (but they are pretty small to work with, so any decorations are going to be tiny!).
They take the longest to make because the stroller, wheels, and handle have to dry separately before being assembled. I brushed them with luster dust, too, to give them a pretty sheen.
A mixed cupcakes look really cute all together!